Wednesday, July 4, 2012

Pancakes and Stir Fry!

Philip LOVES getting hotcakes from McDonald's on Saturday mornings. Well, he had the day off (Happy Independence Day!), and I thought he might like a hotcake alternative. Thus, I made these clean Whole Wheat Pancakes from the Gracious Pantry.

They tasted a little eggy. Like french toast, sorta. BUT they were good. Lily even ate some! We used a little bit of 100% pure Maple Syrup on them. You could also top them with strawberries, blueberries, cinnamon, bananas-- be creative! :)

Clean Eating Whole Wheat Pancakes
(The amount of pancakes made varies greatly based on their size)
Ingredients
2 cups whole wheat flour
2 cups unsweetened soy milk
1 whole egg
3 egg whites
1/2 cup low-fat or non fat milk
1 tsp. vanilla (omit if you will be making extra for pancake soup)
1 tbsp. olive oil
Directions
Step 1 – Mix all ingredients in a large mixing bowl.
Step 2 – Ladle the batter on to a non stick pan without any oil. Keep the heat at medium to medium high. Using high heat will burn the pancakes before they are cooked through.
Step 3 – Cook until they are cooked through and serve, topped with your favorite toppings. Cottage cheese is a great addition for protein
We didn't end up eating an actual lunch. Sometimes that happens when you have two kids. I'm working on it.

This evening, Phil insisted we go to the grocery store to get some milk. Keep in mind, we have a 2 year old, and a 3 month old. ((Clearly, he never goes grocery shopping with them.)) I tried to get him to wait until they went to bed, but he just really wanted some freaking milk.

10 minutes into our shopping trip, the baby was screaming and sucking on his hand furiously, as if I hadn't fed him all week, and the two year old no longer wanted to ride in the car on the buggy, or in the buggy. He now understands why I go to the grocery store between the hours of 8pm and 2 am. (THANK GOODNESS for grocery stores open late!!!)

It was SOOOOO tempting to stop at one of the bajillion fast food restaurants that we pass by on the way to the grocery store- but I was DETERMINED to stick to this clean diet! (So many excuses- it's too late to cook, its bedtime and it will wake the kids, I'm too tired... ) So by the time we got home and got the kids in bed, it was 8 o'clock- but I still cooked dinner! Yay me!

I just threw together some brown rice, frozen mixed veggies, cooked chicken breast, and some Pampered Chef Teriyaki Sauce with Honey. It was -delicious-. Phil gave it an 8.5 out of 10. (He never really goes above 8. So I was shocked.)

All this cooking is starting to grow on me- Phil and I are spending more time together in the kitchen. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment