Saturday, September 8, 2012

Black-eyed Pea Stew

Yesterday, I realized I had a bag full of black-eyed peas that was just sitting in my cabinet, and as much as I hate the things, my husband LOVES them. So I did some searching and found this recipe for Spicy Black-eyed Pea and Tomato Stew from "Keep It Simple Foods".

I modified it a bit to use what I had in my kitchen, and it actually turned out reallllly good. I don't even like black eyed peas, but I liked this. It was so good, I can't wait to make it during the wintertime- it will be perfect to warm us up! Here is my modified recipe:

Black-eyed Pea Stew

Ingredients: (makes 4 servings)
2 cans black-eyed peas, drained and rinsed (if using dry beans, cook fully before adding them to the stew)
3 Tablespoons olive oil
1 cup finely chopped onion
1 tablespoon garlic powder
1 small sliced squash (Any vegetables can be used- I just had 3 squash that I needed to use. I hardly even noticed them in the stew.)
1 cup of corn (I used frozen.)
2 tomatoes, diced
1 small can of tomato paste
1 cup water
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon pepper
1 teaspoon coriander
1 tablespoon of Tabasco sauce
Directions: 
1. Heat olive oil, onions and garlic on medium heat. Cook until onions are slightly browned.
2. Add squash and tomatoes, cook for 3-5 more minutes. The squash do not have to be fully cooked yet as they will finish cooking when we add the remaining ingredients.
3. Add remaining ingredients (corn, black eyed peas, water, tomato paste, spices, Tabasco sauce). Stir, bring to a boil, and cook about 3-5 minutes, or until corn and squash are done. If you want your stew thicker, cook for longer.

My very picky husband really liked this. I suggested that we could serve it over rice (he loves rice too, haha), but he had finished his bowl before I could even get the rice out. I served ours with a size of Ezekiel 4:20 bread. I don't even like black-eyed peas, but I loved this. Can't wait to eat our leftovers!
Try it out and let me know what you think!

No comments:

Post a Comment