Thursday, November 8, 2012

Fitness Evaluation Results... Ouch.

I joined a new gym. I was a member of one of those 24 hour gym facilities, but let's be honest- after spending the entire day caring for a 2 year old and a 7 month old, the last thing I want to do is head to the gym when I've finally got a chance to sit down. And Taco Bell is SO much more tempting at 10:30 or 11 at night. Especially when I can say, "I just burned like 300 calories... I've earned taco bell, right?"

If you are thinking, "Hey, that sounds like me...", consider joining a fitness facility like the one I joined. I checked out a few local ones in my area, and finally decided on Christus Schumpert Wellness South. Here are a few things I looked for:

Childcare (What better incentive to get up and go to the gym every morning, than to have a break from your children? I love them, but mommy needs to be alone sometimes.)
Shower facilities (Now I can shower without a 2 year old audience asking my about all of my body parts! And I can pee alone! Every mother's dream!)
Classes

Included in my membership was a fitness evaluation. Here is what you can expect at a fitness evaluation:

A cardio test
A measurement of the fat on your body
A sit-ups test
A push-ups test

So, after 4 months of eating clean, I was curious to know how I would do. And I figured, it would be nice to have a complete record of where I was in the beginning (or close to it.)

Results
Resting heart rate - 78 BPM - Average
For this, I have a legitimate excuse- I had just carried 1 carseat, 1 two year old, a diaper bag, and a gym bag into childcare. That was practically a workout in itself. However, I'd like to see this get lower.
Resting Blood Pressure- 110/70 - Optimal
Target Heart Rate- 155-175 BPM
Aerobic Capacity- 44.77 (ml/kg/min-1) - 89th percentile ranking/Above Average
Girth Measurements
            Forearm-          10 in
            Upper Arm-      11.5 in
            Chest-              39.75 in
            Waist-              33.75 in
            Hips-                41 in
            Thigh-              24 in
            Calf-                14.75 in
Total-               174.75

And here is the part I really didn't like... I have 27% body fat. Ugh. And at first I thought, "Well... I'm sure that's pretty average for women my age..." until the trainer so kindly informed me that I was in the 10th percentile. Oh. Well. That sucks. I rank well below average. Meaning my body fat percentage? Well above average.

So, THAT, my friends, is where I have found renewed motivation and determination. BMI can be such an inaccurate assessment of health. Just google "body fat percentage", and you can see how someone with the same BMI and a different body fat percentage can look completely different. 

No comments:

Post a Comment